Back End Web Developer
You will work within a close team of front-end developers, SEO professionals and UX specialists to create comprehensive digital solutions for business requirements. You will be working across the board on different platforms, such as WordPress, Laravel and Shopify, so extensive knowledge of all three platforms is a minimum requirement.
You will also be tasked with maintaining and testing existing back-end systems to ensure they are compliant, safe and perform optimally. Data storage also comes under your remit, which requires you to have a good knowledge of data security and compliance.
You’ll also be responsible for the implementation of systems and integrations with 3rd party software’s to various client websites.
- Reporting to
Head of Web Development
- Typical duties include:
- Building and maintaining web applications
- Assessing the efficiency and speed of current applications
- Writing high-quality code
- Managing hosting environments
- QA testing
- Troubleshooting and debugging
- Keeping informed of new technologies
- Maintenance of CMS, Portals and integration services
- Building and maintaining systems that utilise APIs
This list is not exhaustive.
- Back end developer qualifications, skills and experience
Back end developers should ideally have experience working in a back-end environment. We are looking for a minimum requirement of a Bachelor’s degree in a related subject, such as Computer Science and/or a minimum of 3 years’ experience.
Professionals should have some or most of the following skills and experience:
- Fluent in writing PHP applications (Vanilla and part of a framework)
- Experience with Laravel, WordPress + WooCommerce (Timber + Twig), Shopify, Bedrock and Themosis, NodeJS frameworks
- Experience with SQL, MySQL and similar database systems
- Version control, such as Git, CVS or SVN
- Knowledge of SOAP and REST web services
- Experience in modern development practices and use of tools such as SCSS, Gulp and NPM
- Knowledge of E-commerce practices and principles
- Knowledge and experience with compliance and data security is also important, especially after the implementation of GDPR.
- Developers should also have some of the following personal qualities:
- Good problem-solving skills
- High attention to detail
- Good analytical thinking
- Excellent communication
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Remain calm under pressure
- Organised with an ability to multi-task, prioritise and work to tight deadlines
- Willingly takes the initiative, consistently does more than is required and actively participates as part of a cross-functional team